Saturday, February 16, 2013

Thalassery, Kerala, India - Theyyam

Theyyam (pronounced Tayum) is a hindu deity worship done only in a small region of Kerala.  It is performed (well, gods of many varieties - about 450 - come and inhabit the 'performers') by, unusually,  lower caste Hindus.  The events happen at family, village or major shrines.  The one I saw occurred over three days and nights, but I was there for the second night and last day.  It's been getting hotter daily, and though I was completely soaked at the evening event it didn't prep me for sitting out in the sun for the final day, when the female deity inhabiting a 'dancer' spent her time sitting on a bed of hot coals!  Heat piled on heat!  The pics below are only of four of one group of performers, and at the bottom the female deity.  Never seen anything quite like this I must say, even Keralan Kathakali.
















No comments:

Post a Comment